Mindful Eating During the Festive Season
Oct 31, 2023
The festive season is a time for celebration and indulgence. But it can also be a time when our healthy eating habits go by the wayside. With all the delicious food and drinks around us, it's easy to overeat and neglect our nutritional needs.
This is where mindful eating comes in. Mindful eating is the practice of paying attention to your food and your body's signals during meals. It can help you to eat more slowly, savor your food, and make healthier choices.
Here are some tips for mindful eating during the festive season:
- Plan ahead. Before you go to a holiday gathering, think about what you want to eat and drink. This will help you to avoid making impulsive decisions when you're faced with a buffet table full of tempting foods.
- Be mindful of your hunger and fullness cues. Pay attention to how your body feels before, during, and after meals. Don't start eating until you're hungry, and stop eating when you're full.
- Eat slowly and savor your food. Take your time to chew each bite and taste all the flavors.
- Avoid distractions. When you're eating, turn off the TV and put away your phone. Focus on your food and your company.
- Don't be afraid to say no. It's okay to refuse food or drinks that you don't want. Don't feel pressured to eat something just because it's offered to you.
The role of supplements in supporting nutritional goals
Even if you're practicing mindful eating, it can be difficult to get all the nutrients you need during the festive season. This is because many holiday foods are high in calories, sugar, and unhealthy fats.
One way to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need is to take supplements. Supplements can provide you with a variety of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are essential for good health.
Some of the most important supplements to take during the festive season include:
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is essential for bone health, immune function, and mood. Many people are deficient in vitamin D, especially during the winter months.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for heart health, brain function, and inflammation reduction.
- Multivitamin: A multivitamin can provide you with a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and E, as well as calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
Mindful eating is a great way to maintain a balanced diet during the festive season. By following the tips above, you can learn to eat more slowly, savor your food, and make healthier choices.
If you're still struggling to get all the nutrients you need, consider taking supplements. Supplements can provide you with a variety of essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are important for good health.
If you have any questions or concerns about mindful eating or supplements, talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian.